This may be becoming a bit of a theme, but I'm a big fan of Google Docs. So much so that when I got my new laptop at home last year I decided not to fork out to buy MS Office, and just use Google Docs for everything. That isn't to say I'd advocate abandoning it entirely in all circumstances, but to be honest I found I was using Google Docs far more than MS Office for most things at home anyway. I love that if I use Google Docs, I have access to the document no matter what computer I'm using, I love Google Docs as a filestore (now if I'm giving a presentation I usually upload the file to Google Docs as well as putting it on my USB drive to take with me - that way if I forget the drive I've got the online back-up), I love the sharing function for collaborative documents (so much better than emailing things back and forth the whole time), and I love the plethora of file formats supported (exporting as PDF is a particular favourite, much the easiest way I've found to do this without Acrobat or similar). I don't use them so much generally, but I love the forms as a really easy way to create quick questionnaires and get the results automatically delivered into spreadsheet form for you - this is exactly how we as the 23 Things team dealt with you all registering your blogs, and you'll register completion as well via a Google form at the end of the programme.
As I said, I use this all the time, but I have just now used it to create our Saturday staffing rota for Trinity Term and shared it with the staff concerned, which satisfies Thing 19 nicely.
No comments:
Post a Comment